Re: [RFC/PATCH] x86: Use KERN_DEFAULT log-level in __show_regs()

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 02:48:24 EST

Hi Joe,

[ I'm restoring CC, dunno if I broke accidentally. ]

Joe Perches kirjoitti:
On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 09:08 +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
Joe Perches kirjoitti:
What is the reason to convert KERN_INFO to KERN_DEFAULT here?
To be consistent with rest of __show_regs() log-levels.

What log level is DEFAULT?

It's default 4 or WARNING, but I'd guess you had to
look to find it.

Does anyone override it?

Why not simply specify KERN_WARNING for all of them?

For the reasons outlined here:

from:
$ git log -1 e28d713704117bca0820c732210df6075b09f13b
This adds a KERN_DEFAULT loglevel marker, for when you cannot decide
which loglevel you want, and just want to keep an existing printk
with the default loglevel.

The whole point of the patch is to unify 32-bit and 64-bit wrt log-levels. The 32-bit version _is_ using KERN_DEFAULT implicitly and KERN_INFO is arguably wrong which is why I decided to go with the former. That way I don't need to go and audit all the callers of __show_regs() to see if KERN_WARN or some other level makes sense for them.

Pekka