Re: RFC: disablenetwork facility. (v4)

From: Benny Amorsen
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 15:35:24 EST

Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I, for one, think it would be best to handle it exactly like the
> nosuid mount option - that is, pretend the file doesn't have any
> setuid bits set. There's no reason to deny execution; if the process
> would otherwise be able to execute it, it can also copy the file to
> make a non-suid version and execute that instead.

Execute != read. The executable file may contain secrets which must not
be available to the user running the setuid program. If you fail the
setuid, the user will be able to ptrace() and then the secret is
revealed.

It's amazing how many security holes appear from what seems like a very
simple request.

/Benny