Re: Driver-Core: devtmpfs - remove EXPERIMENTAL and enable it bydefault

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 15:55:01 EST

> Why? All major distros need this at boot time, and as we have been

No they don't.

Centos doesn't (in fact I suspect it'll break)
Fedora 11 doesn't
Fedora 12 doesn't seem to (but seems to be willing to use it)
Ditto all the older SuSE, Ubuntu etc releases that are *still*
active/supported/maintained

> through a release cycle with the config option, anyone who is
> incrementally updating will continue with their existing value. But new
> people coming in, will get the option as it is most likely required to
> boot properly.
>
> Makes sense to me.

That may well be true - in which case it needs to be very clearly
documented when to enable it.