Re: High pitch noise when ACPI processor module is loaded.

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 05:11:06 EST

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 04:26 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> So the question remains, is it possible to utilize turbo boost (in Linux)
> without the high pitch noise from the ACPI processor module?

I have to use the max_cstate=2 option to processor.ko in order to not
have a similar high pitch noise. I suppose you might get away higher
values of max_cstate depending on your hardware. Battery life doesn't
seem to be too adversely impacted.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Ephel Duath - Ruins (Deep Blue And Violet)

Hmm... Which would do a better job at driving physicists crazy? Travel
faster than light, or a floating-point boolean value?
-- Michael Mol