Re: 2.6.32.5 regression: page allocation failure. order:1,

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Fri Jan 29 2010 - 12:28:04 EST

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:56:20AM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
>
> > I'll leave it running for another day or so, and then perhaps revert
> > the one patch to see which of the two things (new kernel, or patch)
> > is responsible for the difference.
> >

> Thanks, I'd appreciate it. While I'm reasonably confident the problem is
> with MIGRATE_RESERVE not being free as intended and that the patch fixes
> it, I'd like more proof.

You're more confident about that than I am! It will be very satisfying
if my patch turns out to make the difference, but still surprising to me.

Thank you for taking the time on this, Mark: I too would appreciate it
if you could later determine whether it's new kernel or patch solving it.

> Hugh, can I get a signed-off-by on that patch please? I can improve the
> changelog if you like and send it to Andrew for merging if you like.

I was adjusting the changelog and about to send direct to Linus Cc stable
in a few minutes, since I'm guessing there might be a 33-rc6 today, which
would be a pity to miss.

Whatever my reluctance to assume it's the fix to Mark's problem (which I'm
not mentioning in the changelog), we are both sure it's a valid bugfix.

Hugh