Re: High scheduler wake up times

From: Shawn Bohrer
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 19:36:26 EST

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 04:11:14PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:45:51 -0600
> Shawn Bohrer <shawn.bohrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Currently we have a workload that depends on around 50 processes that
> > wake up 1000 times a second do a small amount of work and go back to
> > sleep. This works great on RHEL 5 (2.6.18-164.6.1.el5), but on recent
> > kernels we are unable to achieve 1000 iterations per second. Using
> > the simple test application below on RHEL 5 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 I can
> > run 500 of these processes on and still achieve 999.99 iterations per
> > second. Running just 10 of these processes on the same machine with
> > 2.6.32.6 produces results like:
> > ]
>
> there's an issue with your expectation btw.
> what your application does, in practice is
>
> <wait 1 millisecond>
> <do a bunch of work>
> <wait 1 millisecond>
> <do a bunch of work>
> etc
>
> you would only be able to get close to 1000 per second if "bunch of
> work" is nothing.....but it isn't.
> so lets assume "bunch of work" is 100 microseconds.. the basic period
> of your program (ignoring any costs/overhead in the implementation)
> is 1.1 milliseconds, which is approximately 909 per second, not 1000!
>
> I suspect that the 1000 you get on RHEL5 is a bug in the RHEL5 kernel
> where it gives you a shorter delay than what you asked for; since it's
> clearly not a correct number to get.
>
> (and yes, older kernels had such rounding bugs, current kernels go
> through great length to give applications *exactly* the delay they are
> asking for....)

I agree that we are currently depending on a bug in epoll. The epoll
implementation currently rounds up to the next jiffie, so specifying a
timeout of 1 ms really just wakes the process up at the next timer tick.
I have a patch to fix epoll by converting it to use
schedule_hrtimeout_range() that I'll gladly send, but I still need a way
to achieve the same thing.

--
Shawn