Re: usbserial speed limitations ?

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 06:45:52 EST

Hi Oliver,

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:26:21 +0100
Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 4. Februar 2010 09:58:55 schrieb Paul Rolland:
> > "Maximum connection speed is limited by the current generic usbserial
> > driver to approximately less than 500kbps."
> >
> > Is there really such a speed limitation in the usbserial module/driver ?
> > This modem is HSPA+, which should allow a theorical maximum downspeed of
> > 20MBps, not 500kbps...
>
> In the generic usbserial driver this speed limit indeed exists.
> But you are not supposed to use it with that kind of device.
> Most likely the correct driver would be either option or sierra.
> Please post lsusb -v for your device.

I don't have yet the device, but the informations I have so far are :
- It is Vendor ID 0x1410, product ID 0x5023 when connected for the first
time, and then it is a disk device.
- Ejecting it makes it appear as Vendor ID 0x1410, product ID 0x7030

Novatel also refers to their procedure for the linux installation :
(http://www.nvtl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=305
which has a link to
http://www.nvtl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176&Itemid=331)

This applies to Ovation MC930D and Ovation MC950D, which are supported by
option.c

So, I suspect the best would be to add the 0x7030 Product ID in the option
driver, and git it a shoot...

Regards,
Paul