Re: [GIT PULL v2] Preparation for BKL'ed ioctl removal

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 24 2010 - 16:04:14 EST

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> The CONFIG_BKL stuff is not a requirement for doing this, but something
> we /also/ want to do in the next merge window, i.e. mark all BKL users
> as CONFIG_BKL, not just the ones that use the locked_ioctl (or bkl_ioctl).

.. and I think that's simply fundamentally wrong. What does it buy us,
except for another really annoying config option? It sure as hell doesn't
buy us any code-size (what, a couple of bytes).

Quite frankly, if you want to just prepare to rename things one by one,
then you might as well just have a single line

#define bkl_ioctl ioctl

and then you can do

.bkl_ioctl = driver_ioctl

but the thing is - what does that _buy_ us without the ability to grep for
and cause compile errors for drivers that haven't done this? Nothing.

So seriously - I'd _much_ rather just get one single large patch that just
renames everything. None of this crap that makes no sense.

Linus