Re: USB gadget with drivers "on board"

From: Josua Dietze
Date: Mon Apr 26 2010 - 13:37:22 EST

MichaÅ Nazarewicz schrieb:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:16:05 +0200, Daniel Mack <daniel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you sure they don't do exactly that by running two interfaces in
the same configuration?

Yes, I'm sure. I've investigated an USB GSM modem which, when plugged
for the first time reports as mass storage (single configuration, single
interface) and when drivers are installed as a full blown composite
gadget. I still haven't figured out how it does that.

These are the notorious mode switching devices. In Windows, they obviously install a special storage driver doing one specific action on each following plugging.
This action - some storage or control command - will "flip" the device, making it "disconnect" and returning as a completely different composite device.

Storage commands used for this procedure range from "SCSI rezero" over "passthrough" to "SCSI eject", or involve vendor specific stuff.

Josua Dietze