Re: while_each_thread() under rcu_read_lock() is broken?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Jun 28 2010 - 19:44:09 EST

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:55:48AM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 06/24, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > But, if that thread was used as a starting point g, then
> > >
> > > before the patch: loop forever
> > > after the patch: break
> >
> > So it is OK to skip some of the other threads in this case, even
> > though they were present throughout the whole procedure?
>
> I think, yes. We can miss them in any case, they can go away before
> while_each_thread(g, t) starts the scan.
>
> If g == group_leader (old or new), then we should notice this thread
> at least.
>
> Otherwise we can miss them all, with or without next_thread_careful().

Just to be sure that we are actually talking about the same scenario...

Suppose that a task group is lead by 2908 and has member 2909, 2910,
2911, and 2912. Suppose that 2910 does pthread_exit() just as some
other task is "ls"ing the relevant /proc entry. Is it really OK for
"ls" to show 2909 but not 2911 and 2912, even though 2911 and 2912
were alive and kicking the entire time?

Thanx, Paul