Low cache usage, lots of free mem :-(

From: Maciej SoÅtysiak
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 16:32:03 EST

Hi,

I have a weird problem. My free -m output is:

root@mkslnx002:/proc/sys/vm# free -m
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ totalÂÂÂÂÂÂ usedÂÂÂÂÂÂ freeÂÂÂÂ sharedÂÂÂ buffersÂÂÂÂ cached
Mem:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 987ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 388ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 599ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 10ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 171
-/+ buffers/cache:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 206ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 781
Swap:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1913ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 32ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1881

This shows as much as 599 MB of free memory while the cache using only 171MB.
Usually people have it the way round ;-)

Now, this is not normal for this server, it used use way more for
cache, but now it doesn't.
That forces the apps to fetch for iscsi storage more often than I'd like it to.

What might've happened to the OS that it's refusing to use more memory as cache?
The server got slower and I'd like to be able to revert the situation
without a reboot.

Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks!
Maciej