Re: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Aug 11 2010 - 15:51:41 EST

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 09:43:24PM -0700, Arve Hj?nnev?g wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> This change prevents some the minimal defconfig options from working.
> >> Specifically our usb gadget drivers do not get set.
> >
> > Can you help me reproduce this?
> >
> > I have found an issue with choice values in combination with
> > tristate logic that fails. I hope this is something similar.
> >

> It is probably the same problem. The gadget driver that was not set is
> not buildable as a module (it is not in the mainline kernel). If I
> select another gadget driver instead it just gets changed to build as
> a module instead.
>
> If you create a file, arch/arm/configs/test_defconfig with the following:
> CONFIG_MODULES=y
> CONFIG_USB_GADGET=y
> CONFIG_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y
>
> then "make test_defconfig" results in .config having:
> CONFIG_USB_MASS_STORAGE=m
>
> (at least if you are set up to compile for arm)

Arve, can you please try the attached patch and check if this
fixes the issue you see.
At least I confirmed that it fixed the minimal test-case I used.

Note: the patch chenges how we interpret a minimal config,
it does not change the content of a minimal config.

Unfortunately the bug I had discovered is another bug.
If I do:
make ARCH=avr32 atngw100_defconfig
make ARCH=avr32 savedefconfig
cp defconfig arch/avr32/configs/atngw100_defconfig
make ARCH=avr32 atngw100_defconfig
diff -u .config .config.old

then the diff shows an unexpected difference.

I will continue of that issue.
This is mainly to inform you that we have at least one
additional issue with "savedefconfig".

Sam