Re: [BISECTED] Removing BKL causes stack trace during early bootup

From: Nick Bowler
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 14:37:17 EST

On 2010-08-12 11:09 -0700, walt wrote:
> The trace whizzes by so fast that I can't read it, and the trace doesn't appear
> in any of the logs. Is there a way to capture such a trace, like maybe changing
> it to a fatal error?

There are a couple options. First, the message _should_ appear in
'dmesg' output since you say the system boots: however if there was a
lot of _other_ output it is possible that it got pushed off the end of
the log. In this case, the easiest way to get it is to simply increase
the log buffer size, CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT, found under 'General Setup'
in menuconfig.

Another option is to use a serial console or netconsole to capture the
output on another machine.

Yet another option is to use the kernel command line option, boot_delay,
which lets you slow down the printing of messages at boot.

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)