Re: rt61pci - bad performance

From: Helmut Schaa
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 04:36:44 EST

Hi Andreas,

Am Freitag 13 August 2010 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> (cc's added)
>
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:49:49 +0200
> Andreas <andihartmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"--------"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: some AP
> > Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=5 dBm
> > Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
> > Encryption key:off
> > Power Management:off
> > Link Quality=38/70 Signal level=-72 dBm
> > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >
> > The throughput is measured with ping -f -s 7000 and xosview -n.

This doesn't look like an appropriate way to measure the throughput. You
should use something like iperf [1] or netperf [2] for your measurements
to get more accurate results.

> > If I'm using ndiswrapper with the windows driver, first of all, I can
> > see additional information in iwconfig:
> >
> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"--------"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: some AP
> > Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
> > RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
> > Encryption key:some key Security mode:restricted
> > Power Management:off
> > Link Quality:62/100 Signal level:-56 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
> > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >

> > There is a switch for sensitivity (which is not supported with rt61pci)
> > and the link quality compared with ndiswrapper is worse (38% to 62%).

I wouldn't trust the link quality values that much, the calculation in rt61pi
is most likely different from what the windows driver does. So it is not
really comparable.

> > The following is remarkably too:
> > ndiswrapper uses a Tx-Power of 20 dBm, rt61pci only 5 dBm. I don't know,
> > why rt61pci uses 5 dBm. It's a hard limit and I can't set it on a value
> > higher than 5 unless the driver is patched. Nevertheless, setting a
> > higher value (of 20 dBm) by patch does not mean to get a better performance.

Could you elaborate please? Did you actually try to patch it or is this just
an assumption?

> > Ndiswrapper shows an encryption key, rt61pci not. Does it mean, that
> > rt61pci doesn't use hardware encryption?

hw crypto should be enabled by default in rt61pci, however, I don't know
if it is actually working ;)

> > With ndiswrapper, the rt61pci-chip achieves a throughput of 2,6 MBytes/s
> > - that's about 1 MByte/s more than rt61pci.
> >
> > I have to say, that the difference between rt61pci and ndiswrapper gets
> > worse if the link quality is getting more badly. Or in other words:
> > ndiswrapper handles bad connections better then rt61pci.
> >

> > Do you have any idea to get rt61pci working as fast as ndiswrapper?

Please run proper measurements first and post the results again.

Thanks,
Helmut

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/
[2] http://www.netperf.org/