Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Aug 15 2010 - 12:34:45 EST

On 08/11/2010 05:34 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

So, I want to allocate a 10Meg buffer. I need to make sure the kernel
has 10megs of memory available. If the memory is quite fragmented, then
too bad, I lose out.

With memory compaction, the cpu churns for a while, then you have your buffer. Of course there's still no guarantee, just a significantly higher probability of success.

Oh wait, I could also use vmalloc. But then again, now I'm blasting
valuable TLB entries for a tracing utility, thus making the tracer have
a even bigger impact on the entire system.

Most trace entries will occupy much less than a page, and are accessed sequentially, so I don't think this will have a large impact.