[RFC] Switching block device elevators

From: Peter Oberparleiter
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 10:54:18 EST

After commit 1abec4fdbb142e3ccb6ce99832fae42129134a96, "block: make blk_init_free_list and elevator_init idempotent", we're seeing kernel panics in our s390 tape block device driver. The panic is triggered because our driver tries to replace the default elevator with a noop elevator by calling elevator_exit() directly followed by elevator_init().

Since the commit, elevator_init() returns 0 if request_queue->elevator is non-null, even though it does not install a new elevator. As a result, the next access to the elevator finds a pointer to the old one which was already freed and a panic is triggered. Our current fix consists of setting the elevator pointer to NULL after elevator_exit().

There is at least one other driver where the problem currently exists (drivers/block/mg_disk.c, author on cc) and another s390 driver where the problem was only accidentally fixed before 2.6.35. I'm wondering if there's a better solution (apart from not forcing an elevator) and would like to hear everyone's opinion on this matter. How about declaring elevator_switch() non-static, for example?

Regards,
Peter Oberparleiter