regulator voltage aggregation

From: Bobby Crabtree
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 14:06:16 EST

I'm looking to upstream a new feature in which the regulator core
aggregates voltage requests from multiple consumers and applies the best
fitting voltage (e.g. max voltage) to a shared supply. The core would
recompute the best fitting voltage when a consumer requests a voltage
change or requests to enable/disable the regulator (similar logic to
DRMS).

The reason we need this feature is for power savings. It would allow two
or more consumers to "vote" on a voltage that's lower than the normal
operating voltage.

I've got a couple implementations in mind.

1. Introduce a new API:

int regulator_set_optimum_voltage(struct regulator *regulator,
int min_uV, int max_uV);

2. Add a flag to the regulation_constraints structure and reuse the
existing regulator_set_voltage API.

struct regulation_constraints {
unsigned aggregate_uV:1;
};

Does this sound like a reasonable feature? And if so, are there any
preferences as to how the feature is implemented and exposed?

Bobby Crabtree