Re: cleancache followup from LSF10/MM summit

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 10:27:37 EST

* dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> [2010-08-20 08:14:59]:

> Hi Christophe (and others interested in cleancache progress) --
>
> Thanks for taking some time to talk with me about cleancache
> at LSF summit! You had some interesting thoughts and suggestions
> that I said I would investigate. They are:
>
> 1) use inode kva as key instead of i_ino
> 2) eliminate cleancache shim and call zcache directly
> 3) fs's requiring key > inode_t (e.g. 64-bit-fs on 32-bit-kernel)
> 4) eliminate fs-specific code entirely (e.g. "opt-in")
> 5) eliminate global variable
>
> Here's my conclusions:
>
> 1) You suggested using the inode kva as a "key" for cleancache.
> I think your goal was to make it more fs-independent and also
> to eliminate the need for using a per-fs enabler and "pool id".
> I looked at this but it will not work because cleancache
> retains page cache data pages persistently even when the
> inode has been pruned from the inode_unused_list and only
> flushes the data pages if the file gets removed/truncated. If
> cleancache used the inode kva, there would be coherency issues
> when the inode kva is reused. Alternately, if cleancache
> flushed the pages when the inode kva was freed, much of
> the value of cleancache would be lost because the cache
> of pages in cleancache is potentially much larger than
> the page cache and is most useful if the pages survive
> inode cache removal.
>
> If I misunderstood your proposal or if you disagree, please
> let me know.
>
> 2) You suggested eliminating the cleancache shim layer and just
> directly calling zcache, effectively eliminating Xen as
> a user. During and after LSF summit, I talked to developers
> from Google who are interested in investigating the cleancache
> interface for use with cgroups, an IBM developer who was
> interested in cleancache for optimizing NUMA, and soon I
> will be talking to HP Labs about using it as an interface
> for "memory blades". I also think Rik van Riel and Mel Gorman
> were intrigued about its use for collecting better memory
> utilization statistics to drive guest/host memory "rightsizing".
> While it is true that none of these are current users yet, even
> if you prefer to ignore Xen tmem as a user, it seems silly to
> throw away the cleanly-layered generic cleancache interface now,
> only to add it back later when more users are added.
>
> 3) You re-emphasized the problem where cleancache's use of
> the inode number as a key will cause problems on many 64-bit
> filesystems especially running on a 32-bit kernel. With
> help from Andreas Dilger, I'm trying to work out a generic
> solution for this using s_export_op->encode_fh which would
> be used for any fs that provides it to guarantee a unique
> multi-word key for a file, while preserving the
> shorter i_ino as a key for fs's for which i_ino is unique.
>
> 4) Though you were out of the room during the cleancache
> lightning talk, other filesystem developers seemed OK
> with the "opt-in" approach (as documented in lwn.net)...
> [...]

Hi, Dan,

Sorry for commenting on your post so late. I've had some time to read
through your approach and compare it to my approach
(http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/view_abstract.php?content_key=32)
and I had a few quick questions

1. Can't this be done at the MM layer - why the filesystem hooks? Is
it to enable faster block devices in the reclaim hierarchy?
2. I don't see a mention of slabcache in your approach, reclaim free
pages or freeing potentially free slab pages.

--
Three Cheers,
Balbir