Re: RFC: MTU for serving NFS on Infiniband

From: Marc Aurele La France
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 10:44:57 EST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Eric Dumazet wrote:
Le jeudi 26 aoÃt 2010 Ã 05:40 -0600, Marc Aurele La France a Ãcrit :

Steady now. There's no need to YELL nor be arrogant. You and I both know
there's a place for NFS over UDP. That's not changing any time soon. While
I'm aware of the issue you brought up, it is separate from the one at hand in
this discussion.

I do want to thank you, however, for reminding me of TCP. It's something
20/20 hindsight says I should have checked out before starting this thread.
Logistically, it'll be a few days before I can do so though. If that allows
me to increase the MTU all the way up to 65520, then this UDP thing will
likely remain unresolved.

Unfortunately, your infiniband device lacks NETIF_F_SG support.

Oh, the device itself probably has something similar, but ipoib (IP-over-Infiniband) doesn't export that capability.

MTU a bit larger than PAGE_SIZE-overhead will need high order
allocations ?

Right. And a 65520 MTU allocates sk_buff's with 128K contiguous payloads.

Marc.

| Marc Aurele La France | work: 1-780-492-9310 |
| Academic Information and | fax: 1-780-492-1729 |
| Communications Technologies | email: tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| 352 General Services Building +----------------------------------+
| University of Alberta | |
| Edmonton, Alberta | Standard disclaimers apply |
| T6G 2H1 | |
| CANADA | |