Re: UIO and Fedora 13 (kernel 33.6)

From: Armin Steinhoff
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 02:57:21 EST

Hans J. Koch wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:49:10PM +0200, Armin Steinhoff wrote:
Hi,

I'm writing an UIO driver for a plain PC/104 board (ISA bus).
After insmod<my_driver_mod> I don't see an entry of uio0 in /dev
and also no entries in /sys/class. There are no error messages at
module load.
Are you sure your probe() function is called?
That's the case.

After a successfull
uio_register_device() there is both a /dev/uioX and a directory
/sys/class/uio/uioX/.
Seems not be possible after a kernel ooops ...
The same happens after loading the module uio.ko and uio_pdrv.ko ...
no entries at all, no error messages.
uio_pdrv needs platform data set up somewhere, did you do that?
See docs in Documentation/DocBook/ for more details.

uio_pdrv.ko was provided unmodified and precompiles by the Fedora distro.
This example seems more or less incomplete ... it seems also the case with the uio_pdrv_genirq example

However, it seems so I have to go back 2 steps and restart after reading more details of the concept of platform devices ...

Thanks

--Armin