Re: visibility changes (was: Re: [GIT] kbuild and kconfig fixes for2.6.37-rc5)

From: Michal Marek
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 16:44:03 EST

On 7.12.2010 21:45, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 21:40, Arnaud Lacombe<lacombar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:51, Arnaud Lacombe<lacombar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW, I got confused:
- make allmodconfig causes e.g.:
CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_TVAUDIO=m
=> good
- make oldconfig for my config with almost everything selected,
except for stuff I know that breaks:
CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TVAUDIO is not set
and no way to manually set CONFIG_VIDEO_TVAUDIO=y?
=> bad!
that's difficult to judge without your old configuration.
VIDEO_TVAUDIO is only selected by VIDEO_BT848 which you don't give
information about.

I don't have PCI, so I cannot enable VIDEO_BT848.

so why do you expect VIDEO_TVAUDIO to be enabled ?

I don't expect it to be enabled, I expected to be able to enable it.
Allmodconfig
does enable it.

Actually allmodconfig should not enable it, as it did not so before the patch. See Jan's fix at https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/393302/

Michal