Re: linux-next: Tree for December 20

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Mon Dec 20 2010 - 15:47:41 EST

Hi John,

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:29:44 -0800 "J.H." <warthog9@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gingerbread released last week, loads have been spiking to well above
> 300 on the frontend machines, RAM usage has been in the ~20G range (on
> machines with 16G of RAM), and we've been running an *AVERAGE* of 2000+
> simultaneous GIT processes worldwide (normal is in the 100-200 range).
>
> Bonus points that we blew a drive on one of the machines yesterday.
>
> I don't think anyone was quite expecting the onslaught we have gotten
> this time around, and I'm going to have to make some changes before the
> next big release (mainly shifting Android over to the bigger machines)

Thanks for the info. I figured something like that was up. I guess we
all just need to be patient for a while.

> With cyclical patterns of fast and slow syncs. We seem to be (right
> now) in the middle of one of the slow cycles with the last few syncs
> taking a couple of hours each. The culprit, for at least the current
> sync, seems to be the box with the highest load and the blown drive,
> which I'm also reluctant to disable since it's still handling it's fair
> share of the load and dumping all of that onto the opposite US mirror
> would not be good either.

Fair enough.

I normally wait for the sync to happen before I send out the linux-next
release message each day. I will continue to wait for a while, but will
lower my expectations :-)
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx