Trying to find a TuxOnIce merging plan that works.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 15:52:25 EST

Hi Rafael.

As you may recall, I started working on a bunch of patches about six months ago that have been very slow to get merged (yes, mostly my fault for perhaps being overly careful about testing). Unfortunately, in the process, you've merged other patches (the compression ones) that mean I have to rewrite what I'd already done.

To avoid this happening again, I'm proposing that I only work on one patch (or very small series of patches) at a time, and not start on the next one until you've merged the previous into your for-Linus tree. I'll keep an overall plan of where I intend to go, but take things very slowly so I don't waste time like that again.

The downside is that means I won't always be able to show demonstrably improvements immediately, but I guess we'll just have to cope with that situation. I guess I can mitigate this downside by explaining where I'm going, even if I can't provide numbers to prove it will be a real improvement.

Does this sound feasible to you?

Regards,

Nigel