release_console_sem() and disabling interrupts

From: Abhijeet Dharmapurikar
Date: Wed Dec 22 2010 - 17:28:15 EST

release_console_sem() disables interrupts while it calls upon the console drivers to dump the pending characters. This disabling of interrupt is delaying the handling of interrupts leading to weird latencies and bugs.

The specific scenario is while resuming, the __log_buf has accumulated around 11,000 bytes of characters and resume_console takes for ever to send them out. On my system with serial running at 115200 baud it takes almost a second to flush 11,000 bytes.

I was thinking about limiting the characters to say N bytes and before the next set of N bytes is sent, we enable interrupts and do the spin_lock_irqsave again. Basically spin in the for ( ; ; ) loop until all the outstanding bytes are sent in sets of N bytes.

This issue has been brought up many times earlier -
http://www.webservertalk.com/archive242-2006-6-1537307.html
http://www.webservertalk.com/archive242-2007-11-2129981.html

One reason I gather is that we want to prevent interrupts from printing unorderly stuff in the __log_buf. But dont interrupts get the spin_lock(&logbuf_lock) and then update the log_[end/start], con_start etc? If so we wont see unorderly prints in the __log_buf, the spin_lock protects those pointers.

Would like ask if limiting the number of characters per loop in release_console_sem() is a good idea.

Thanks
Abhijeet

Sent by an Employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc is a member of code aurora forum.