Re: linux-next: manual merge of the sound tree with the s5p tree

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Dec 23 2010 - 09:30:34 EST

At Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:28:27 +0900,
Kukjin Kim wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >

> (snip)

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > But I can't merge it because there is no 'topic/asoc' branch in
> > > sound-2.6.git.
> > > (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound-2.6.git)
> > >
> > > Is there another repository?
> >
> > OK, Mark's tree doesn't contain. But you can merge for-2.6.38 tree there.
> >
> > The main sound git tree is found in
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
> >
> Aha~ :-)
>
> > > And should I merge it in my tree even though don't need all of ASoC
> commits
> > > :-( ?
> >
> > In general yes because this is the tree to be merged to 2.6.38.
> >
> Yeah, I know it.
>
> > > I'm not sure how many commits are in there...
> >
> > You can keep two branches. One contains only your fixes, and another
> > is the merged branch from yours and from sound git tree. Expose the
> > latter merged tree for linux-next.
> >
> Yeah...however, firstly, my tree will be sent to rmk during 38 merge window,
> if I merge from sound git, for avoiding build error I should send all
> including them not only my patches. I think there is no need to rmk...hmm
>
> So I did 'cherry-pick' only needed 2 commits in my tree.

And that caused problems :)

> > There are many other ways to manage such things, but the above has
> > worked for me well, at least.
>
> Yeah I think so...but is there another better way in this case? Hehehe...

Well, ideally, create a separate branch containing these cross-tree
commits based on vanilla. Then pull this branch to both arm (or your)
and sound trees. In that way, both trees share the same commits in
the least amount.

I basically don't like to rebase and the commits have been already in
sound tree, but if this is the only way and Russell prefers this, it
can be a possible option.

thanks,

Takashi