Re: [git pull] drm fixes

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Thu Mar 24 2011 - 16:05:12 EST

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Ilija Hadzic
> <ihadzic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I'll update libdrm side to match this change and send the patch later
>> today
>
> Quite frankly, this whole discussion is a clear example of why DRM has
> been problematic.
>
> Why the hell am I getting pushed stuff that is clearly not baked? It's
> the second week of the merge window, the stuff I'm getting should have
> been finalized two weeks ago, not be something that is still being
> discussed and that has API issues.
>
> In other words: Why should I pull this at all?

Linus,

Take a step back, it was an enhancement to a current API, had gotten
reviewed by two people when I merged it and made sense. Michel raised
his concern after that point, so no matter what it was already in a tree
I'd pushed out to public so the only answer when he raised his concern
was to revert or fix it. Its a minor problem. Like I'd have pushed this patch
post merge window, it solves a real problem that Ilija was seeing and
he stepped up
and fixed it, post-merge review is what happened here, and really this
is nothing
compared to say the fallout in the VFS after 2.6.38-rc1.

If you think this has anything to do with Intel's ability to break your hardware
on every merge then you've got your wires crossed.

Dave.