Re: [RFC] perf: EBNF for event syntax

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 07:06:08 EST

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 11:36 +0800, Lin Ming wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > How about we start writing proper EBNF syntax rules for this stuff, its
> > getting seriously out of hand.
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=130029871318866&w=2
>
> As Peter suggested, I wrote a simple EBNF for event syntax, as below.
> My first plan is to pass in extra config value for some events,
> for example, offcore response and load latency.
>
> perf record -e r100b(0004):p
>
> As above, the extra config value 0004 is passed in the parentheses.
>
> The EBNF
> ========
>
> EventList := Event [',' EventList]

There was a suggestion a while back to make:

-e ev1,ev2,ev3

create an event group with ev2 and ev3 siblings of ev1, and have
multiple -e instances create separate counters.

The problem is that its not backwards compatible, but something like
that would still be very nice to have.

> Event := HardwareEvent |
> RawEvent |
> SoftwareEvent |
> TracepointEvent |
> HardwareBreakpointEvent
>
> HardwareEvent := HardwareEventName [ExtraConfig] [Modifer]
> HardwareEventName := 'cpu-cycles' | 'cycles' | 'instructions' /* and so on ...*/
> ExtraConfig := '(' ConfigValue [',' ConfigValue] ')'
> ConfigValue := HexNumber
>
> RawEvent := RawSeperator RawCode [ExtraConfig] [Modifer]
> RawSeperator := 'r'
> RawCode := HexNumber
>
> SoftwareEvent := SoftwareEventName
> SoftwareEventName := 'cpu-clock' | 'task-clock' | 'faults' /* and so on ...*/
>
> TracepointEvent := SubsystemName ':' TracepointName
> SubsystemName := /* All AsciiString except the pre-defined hardware/software/cache events name and BreakpointSeparator */
> TracepointName := '*' | AsciiString
>
> HardwareBreakpointEvent := BreakpointSeparator BreakpointAddress [':' AccessType]
> BreakpointSeparator := 'mem:'
> BreakpointAddress := HexNumber
> AccessType := 'r' | 'w' | 'x'
>
> Modifier := ModifierSperator ModifierList
> ModifierSperator := ':'
> ModifierList := ModifierItem ModifierList
> ModifierItem := {PreciseModifer} | kernelModifer | UserModifer | HypervisorModifer
> PreciseModifer := 'p' /* Can be multiple PreciseModifers */
> kernelModifer := 'k'
> UserModifer := 'u'
> HypervisorModifer := 'h'

Otherwise, very nice. Eventually we'll be able to use a parser generator
for this.