Re: TPM chip prevents machine from suspending

From: Stefan Berger
Date: Tue Mar 29 2011 - 11:42:14 EST

On 03/29/2011 10:30 AM, Rajiv Andrade wrote:
On 03/29/2011 09:25 AM, Stefan Berger wrote:
On 03/29/2011 08:08 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
Is there some way short of recompiling with CONFIG_TCG_* turned off
to disable the TPM driver at boot time?

As far as I know, 'no'. I'd defer it to the maintainers as to how they would want to solve your particular problem... either by using above work-around, which would be more transparent, or actively having to turn the driver off with a command line parameter.

Stefan

I'm handling a patch from Stefan that solves so, for now,
I'd recommend to use Stefan's tool.

Well, at least none of the patches I submitted in the series solves this particular problem.

I am not sure whether this problem should be fixed since it's hopefully rare. If it was to be fixed, how it should be fixed. Here are a couple of options:

- declare it a lost case due to broken out-of-spec BIOS -- don't fix it; machine won't suspend a 2nd time

- send a command to the TPM upon resume and if TPM response returns with error code 38 set a flag and don't send TPM_SaveState() upon the next suspend; log this case; the TPM becomes unusable; machine will suspend a 2nd time

- send a command to the TPM upon resume and if it returns with error code 38 send TPM_Startup(ST_STATE) -> this masks the BIOS problem; log this case; TPM stays usable; machine will suspend a 2nd time; a colleague tells me it may not be 'safe'

Options 2 and 3 would now also run for all the rest of the machines with a good BIOS...

Stefan