Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 18:59:46 EST

On 04/08/2011 02:20 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
Hi Anthony,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:00:43AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
An example is ioport_ops. This maps directly to
ioport_{read,write}_table in QEMU. Then you use ioport__register() to
register entries in this table similar register_ioport_{read,write}() in
QEMU.

The use of a struct is a small improvement but the fundamental design is
flawed because it models a view of hardware where all devices are
directly connected to the CPU. This is not how hardware works at all.
Not sure if I've the whole picture on this but I see no answer to your
email and I found your remark above the most interesting. This is
because I thought the whole point of a native kvm tool was to go all
the paravirt way to provide max performance and maybe also depend on
vhost as much as possible.

Yeah, if that's the goal, skip all the mini-BIOS junk and just rely on a PV kernel in the guest.

I think a mini userspace that assumes that we can change the guest kernel and avoids having a ton of complexity to do things like CMOS emulation would be a really interesting thing to do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori