Re: OLS 2010 papers finally indexed.

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Apr 10 2011 - 06:37:39 EST

On 04/10/2011 03:26 AM, anish singh wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Rob Landley <rlandley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rlandley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> On 04/09/2011 11:57 PM, AmÃrico Wang wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Rob Landley
> <rlandley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rlandley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >> FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:
> >>
> >> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010
> >>

> > Nice work, Rob! Thanks a lot!
>
> You're welcome.
>
> I don't suppose anybody knows where the missing papers _are_?
>
> For example, a google search for "Coverage and profiling for realtime
> tiny kernels" brought up two legacy organizations that locked the paper
> away in a vault and then buried it in a sea trench:
>
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1900726.1901172
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5577998
>
> Rob just wanted to know if you had contacted the authors of above
> article to publish it in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>?

Not yet, I was still hoping Andrew Hutton would get back to me with the
actual final proceedings. (Presumably they had a final file at some
point go to the printer.)

According to the CFP, OLS papers are freely redistributable:

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/cfp.php

"Authors retain copyright to all submitted papers, but have granted
unlimited redistribution rights to all as a condition of submission."

So mirroring them on kernel.org doesn't require additional permission.
But that's assuming they're sourced from OLS. Sourcing the papers from
somewhere else, I'm not sure it's the same version covered by the same
license, so it's more work for me to confirm that stuff instead of
relying on a blanket license from a single source.

> If you have not then i can contact them (they work in my organisation)
> and would request them to contribute in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>.

Yes please.

Thanks,

Rob