Re: Could I (ab)use bus (struct bus_type) for virtual Broadcom bus?

From: RafaÅ MiÅecki
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 09:07:47 EST

W dniu 14 kwietnia 2011 14:34 uÅytkownik Hauke Mehrtens
<hauke@xxxxxxxxxx> napisaÅ:
> On 04/14/2011 02:04 PM, RafaÅ MiÅecki wrote:
>> Hauke: you were proposing integrating with drivers/amba. I really
>> expect you to comment on this, please tell us how do you see this now,
>> when we have better overview. I took your proposal seriously, you can
>> see the results above.
>
> I had no closer look at drivers/amba and this bus driver, I just saw
> that there was a discussion about drivers/amba and this implementation
> with no result. When the Bradcom cores are not directly connected to
> AMBA, but are using some sort of wrapper and there are no benefits in
> using drivers/amba, just leave it.
>
> As the implementation of the Braodcom AIX Bus contains some Broadcom
> extensions and there seams to be no normal AMBA device being connected
> to some Broadcom devices with this special interface number 3) "Broadcom
> specific bus (bcmai)" seams to the the best approach in my opinion.

Thanks for commenting.

Russell: you were asking:
> What does this do which the 'amba' bus support doesn't?
I believe I explained it well in this thread. Do you still think about
using amba/driver? Do you think we should use it?

Arnd: I found you saying:
> I believe the one thing we really want from this driver is the bus
> scan code, which is not present in the amba bus implementation,
I explained how it works, I believe scanning (EPROM in this case) it
Broadcom specific, not really AMBA standard. How do you see it?

--
RafaÅ