Re: various vmbus review comments

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon May 09 2011 - 10:33:59 EST

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 01:10:38PM +0000, KY Srinivasan wrote:
> I audited the block and the net drivers. As part of their exit routine,
> they invoke vmbus_child_driver_unregister() after properly cleaning
> up all the devices they are managing. Do you still see an issue with
> regards to module reference counting.

Which is not the correct thing to do as explained in my last round
of reviews. Take a look at the PCI code - the functional driver only
does a foo_untegister_driver (which maps almost directly to
driver_unregister), which then causes the device core to unbind the
devices. The function driver must never call device_unregister
directly as the device continues to exist even if no driver is bound to
it.