Re: kernel panic with simple driver

From: Ryan Mallon
Date: Tue Aug 09 2011 - 20:42:52 EST

On 10/08/11 10:16, Murali K. Vemuri wrote:
Hello there,

I have a small driver code with which I am randomly receiving kernel
panic. Can someone help me what is the mistake here?
The kernel panic is exactly caught to be at "add_timer (&my_timer) ".
I am able to get the print "Kicking off the timer" when the panic
happens.

It helps to post the panic message. Its hard to debug problems without them.

Where in add_timer is the panic occurring? It's only two lines, and one of those is a BUG_ON. Are you hitting that? The other line is a call to mod_timer and dereferences the timer pointer. Is the timer_list struct you are passing to add_timer sane?

Also, I could not observe any specific pattern in which the panic
occurs. But it is purely random. So far I was able to reproduce the
panic thrice out of 100+ attempts.

Do you have any concurrent access to the timer? If so you may be racing on the between the test of timer_pending and the call to timer_add. In general, I think you should call mod_timer rather than add_timer (see the documentation in kernel/timer.c).

~Ryan

In all other attempts, my_dev_ioctl is called correctly and works correctly.

struct timer_list my_timer;

static int my_dev_ioctl(struct inode *inode, struct file *file,
unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg)
{
switch(cmd)
{
case MATCH_CASE:
if (timer_pending (&my_timer))
{
printk(KERN_ERR "Timer currently pending, not adding
any more\n");
}
else
{
printk(KERN_ERR "Kicking off the timer\n");
add_timer(&my_timer);
}
break;
default:
break;
}
return 0;
}

static struct miscdevice my_dummy_dev =
{
.minor = MISC_DYNAMIC_MINOR,
.name = "dummy_dev",
.fops =&my_dev_fops,
};

static int __init my_dev_init(void)
{
/*initialize some GPIOs */
init_timer (&my_timer);
my_timer.data = 0;
my_timer.expires = jiffies + msecs_to_jiffies(500);
my_timer.function = ring_led_detect_timer;
misc_register(&mbi5025_dev);
}
module_init(my_dev_init);

Thanks in advance