Re: [GIT PULL] drbd-8.4 for mainline

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Aug 24 2011 - 12:00:29 EST

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:41, Philipp Reisner
<philipp.reisner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> First the announcement of drbd-8.4, then the git pull-request text:
>
> We are proud to announce the availability of DRBD-8.4.0.
>
> ÂThe most noticeable change is the support for multiple replicated
> Âvolumes in a single DRBD connection.
> ÂWrite-ordering is obeyed among all writes in all volumes in a
> Âsingle connection.
> ÂThis feature is really important for users who DRBD for mirroring
> Âover longer distances. (Protocol A).
>
> We do not only release DRBD-8.4.0 today:
> The DRBD User's Guide was reviewed and updated to match DRBD-8.4.
>
> I suggest to everybody who considers to upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4
> to have a look at the "Recent changes" appendix of the UG:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ap-recent-changes.html
>
> ÂThis release brings a new meta-data format. Forward (8.3 -> 8.4)
> Âconversion happens complete seamless. Backward conversion
> Âis done by a single command (drbdadm apply-al res).
>
> ÂThis release is protocol compatible with all it predecessor.
> ÂAlthough, we do not recommend to run it in 8.3 - 8.4 for long
> Âtime frames. We recommend to use that capability only for the
> Ârolling upgrade.
>
> Âdrbdadm of 8.4 can parse config files of 8.3. We recommend
> Âto switch to the new configuration syntax after the upgrade
> Âof both nodes. (Use drbdadm dump to learn about the new
> Âconfig syntax)

Hm...

That's a lot of patches (including some protocol changes) that have not
yet been reviewed by other kernel developers.

By officially releasing the kernel and user-space bits and then posting
them to LKML and expecting them to be merged as-is, you are not really
following the linux kernel development process.

Some of the reverts and commit messages make me concerned that your
patch series has bisection issues; are you sure it compiles and runs
after every patch?

I'm obviously not anywhere in the maintenance chain for this code, but
it does look really funny.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett