Re: Bug Report for Linux Kernel 3.x

From: Steevven1
Date: Wed Aug 24 2011 - 12:44:06 EST

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Anca Emanuel <anca.emanuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Make sure you read this:
>
> Tweaks To Extend The Battery Life Of Intel Linux Notebooks
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1
>
> Linux 3.1 Kernel Draws More Power With Another Regression
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1

VERY interesting! The second link seems to imply that Phoronix has
independently found this same bug that we've been talking about in my
originally-linked ubuntuforums discussion. Specifically, the
interesting quote is:

"Besides the new Linux 3.1 kernel power regression, there's also a
power regression introduced in the Linux 3.0 kernel that has
previously not been talked about on Phoronix. The Linux 3.0 power draw
is up by 24% over the Linux 2.6.39 kernel."