Re: linux-next: manual merge of the moduleh tree with the arm tree

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Aug 25 2011 - 12:39:47 EST

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:33:51PM -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> On 11-08-25 01:17 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the moduleh tree got a conflict in
> > arch/arm/mach-bcmring/mm.c between commit 2d5e975b2194 ("ARM:
> > mach-bcmring: Setup consistent dma size at boot time") from the arm tree
> > and commit 9bc7d81e271e ("arm: fix implicit use of page.h in
> > mach-bcmring/mach-jornada") from the moduleh tree.
>
> I can't really relocate the page.h inclusion in a trivial way to
> make this conflict go away. But since the implicit header use fixes
> for arm are independent and don't actually depend on anything in the
> rest of the module.h tree, I can set about to giving these to Russell
> for his arm-next branch anytime. I'll do that shortly.

For such a trivial conflict, I don't think we need to do anything. Linus
has said publically that he likes to sort out conflicts as it allows him
to have a wider knowledge of what's going on in the kernel tree.

So, given that the fixup is soo obvious, I don't think we need to play
games redistributing patches - we just need to be aware of the conflict
and mention it to Linus when we merge.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: