Re: comparison of the AF_ALG interface with the /dev/crypto

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Date: Mon Aug 29 2011 - 03:32:34 EST

On 08/28/2011 10:35 PM, David Miller wrote:

The benchmark idea was to test the speed of initialization, encryption
and deinitiation, as well as the encryption speed alone. These are the
most common use cases of the frameworks (i.e. how they would be used
by a cryptographic library).
Be sure to use splice() with AF_ALG for maximum performance.
For example, see the test program below. You'll need to replace
"8192" with whatever the page size is on your cpu.

As I understand with splice you can encrypt only page aligned data that span a multiple of pages. This is a very uncommon case. My benchmark targets the generic case, i.e., the way this interface will be used in crypto libraries like gnutls.

However, I'll update the comparison page to include the splice version as well.

regards,
Nikos