Re: blkdev_issue_discard() hangs forever if the underlying storagedevice is removed

From: Lukas Czerner
Date: Mon Aug 29 2011 - 10:42:35 EST

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Lin Ming wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Lukas Czerner <lczerner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Regarding the atomic operations I do not think that implicit memory
> > barriers are needed here as atomic_dec_and_test() implies memory
>
> Which implicit memory barrier you are talking about?

smp_mb() at both side of the operation as documented here in
Documentation/memory-barriers.txt

[citation]
Any atomic operation that modifies some state in memory and returns
information about the state (old or new) implies an SMP-conditional
general memory barrier (smp_mb()) on each side of the actual operation
(with the exception of explicit lock operations, described later).
These include:

xchg();
cmpxchg();
atomic_cmpxchg();