Re: [patch] Revert "memcg: add memory.vmscan_stat"

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Tue Aug 30 2011 - 07:33:19 EST

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:38:39PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:17:26 +0200
> Johannes Weiner <jweiner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 05:56:09PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > > hmm. I have no strong opinion.
> >
> > I do :-)
> >
> BTW, how to calculate C's lru scan caused by A finally ?

> /
> /
>
> At scanning LRU of C because of A's limit, where stats are recorded ?
>
> If we record it in C, we lose where the memory pressure comes from.

It's recorded in C as 'scanned due to parent'.

If you want to track down where pressure comes from, you check the
outer container, B. If B is scanned due to internal pressure, you
know that C's external pressure comes from B. If B is scanned due to
external pressure, you know that B's and C's pressure comes from A or
the physical memory limit (the outermost container, so to speak).

The containers are nested. If C is scanned because of the limit in A,
then this concerns B as well and B must be scanned as well as B, as
C's usage is fully contained in B.

There is not really a direct connection between C and A that is
irrelevant to B, so I see no need to record in C which parent was the
cause of the pressure. Just that it was /a/ parent and not itself.
Then you can follow the pressure up the hierarchy tree.

Answer to your original question:

C_scan_due_to_A = C_scan_external - B_scan_internal - A_scan_external

But IMO, having this exact number is not necessary to find the reason
for why C is experiencing memory pressure in the first place, and I
assume that this is the goal.