Re: RFD: x32 ABI system call numbers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 12:49:30 EST

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, we could chicken out and just use unsigned int for time_t on new
> 32 bit ABIs, which would buy us time until ~2106 before we need to
> convert everything to 64 bit...

You do realize that there are probably quite a lot of programs that
depend on signed time_t because they really do care about dates before
1970?

"unsigned time_t" is not going to really solve anything. It can be a
crutch for some cases, but seriously, the only solution is to just
admit that a 32-bit time_t just doesn't work.

Linus