Re: Approaches to making io_submit not block

From: Daniel Ehrenberg
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 19:16:33 EST

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM, guy keren <choo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 15:54 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

>> > Do you think we could accomplish the goals with less additional
>> > code/complexity? It looks like the latest version of the patch set
>> > wasn't so invasive.
>> >
>> > If syslets/threadlets aren't happening, should these patches be
>> > reconsidered for inclusion in the kernel?
>>
>> I haven't seen any demand at all for the feature in many years.  That
>> doesn't mean that there _isn't_ any demand - perhaps everyone got
>> exhausted.
>
> you should consider the emerging enterprise-grade SSD devices - which
> can serve several tens of thousands of I/O requests per device actually
> controller). These devices could be better utilized by better
> interfaces. further more, in our company we had to resort to using
> windows for IOPS benchmarking (using iometer) against storage systems
> using these (and similar) devices, because it manages to generate higher
> IOPS then linux can (i don't remember the exact numbers, but we are
> talking about an order of several hundred thousands IOPS).
>
> It could be that we are currently an esoteric use-case - but the
> high-end performance market seems to be stepping in that direction.

I'm interested in SSD performance too. Could you tell me more about
your use case? Were you using a file system or a raw block device? The
patches we're discussing don't have any effect on a raw block device.
Do you have any particular ideas about a new interface? What does
Windows provide that Linux lacks that's relevant here?

>> If there is demand then that should be described and circulated, see
>> how much interest there is in resurrecting the effort.
>>
>> And, of course, the patches should be dragged out and looked at - it's
>> been a number of years now.
>>
>> Also, glibc has userspace for POSIX AIO.  A successful kernel-based
>> implementation would result in glibc migrating away from its current
>> implementation.  So we should work with the glibc developers on ensuring
>> that the migration can happen.
>
> glibc's userspace implementation doesn't scale to fast devices. It could
> make sense when working with slower disk devices - not when you're
> working with solid-state storage devices.
>
> --guy

Dan