Re: [patch 2/2] fs, proc: Introduce the /proc/<pid>/map_files/directory v6

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 23:07:30 EST

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 18:10, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:26:22 +0400 Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This one behaves similarly to the /proc/<pid>/fd/ one - it contains symlinks
>> one for each mapping with file, the name of a symlink is "vma->vm_start-vma->vm_end",
>> the target is the file. Opening a symlink results in a file that point exactly
>> to the same inode as them vma's one.
>>
>> For example the ls -l of some arbitrary /proc/<pid>/map_files/
>>
>> Â| lr-x------ 1 root root 64 Aug 26 06:40 7f8f80403000-7f8f80404000 -> /lib64/libc-2.5.so
>> Â| lr-x------ 1 root root 64 Aug 26 06:40 7f8f8061e000-7f8f80620000 -> /lib64/libselinux.so.1
>> Â| lr-x------ 1 root root 64 Aug 26 06:40 7f8f80826000-7f8f80827000 -> /lib64/libacl.so.1.1.0
>> Â| lr-x------ 1 root root 64 Aug 26 06:40 7f8f80a2f000-7f8f80a30000 -> /lib64/librt-2.5.so
>> Â| lr-x------ 1 root root 64 Aug 26 06:40 7f8f80a30000-7f8f80a4c000 -> /lib64/ld-2.5.so
>
> This particular patch introduces a distressing amount of duplication of
> /proc/pid/maps. ÂThe changelog should provide a really good
> justification for doing this: why is /proc/pid/maps (and smaps!)
> unsuitable and why cannot maps/smaps be fixed to be suitable?

Andrew,

This is way more useful than /proc/$PID/maps, because this allows you
to reliably obtain an FD to an arbitrary mapped memory segment.

EG:
$ cp /bin/sleep ~/my-sleep
$ ~/my-sleep 1000 & kid=$!
$ rm ~/my-sleep
$ mkdir ~/mapped_files
$ for file in /proc/$kid/map_files/*; do cp "$file" ~/mapped_files/; done

This trivially gets me copies of every mapped file, including the deleted
"my-sleep" binary, it also trivially handles lazy-unmounted filesystems,
chroots, namespaces, and all sorts of similar kernel cleverness.

It's exactly the same kind of utility that /proc/$PID/fd/* has, but for
mmap().

With /proc/$kid/maps you simply can't work around some of those
kinds of issues (IE: deleted files, etc).

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett