Re: Linux 3.0.8

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Oct 25 2011 - 04:41:15 EST

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:02:40 +0200, Greg KH said:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:40:44PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On 10/24/11 22:19, Greg KH wrote:
> > > All users of the 3.0 kernel series must upgrade.
> > I noticed that "must" word in 3.0.7 also. Please explain.
> Nothing new, I've been saying that for years.

I think Randy means that out of the 29 commits for .7->.8, there's only one
(Hugh Dicken's mremap fix) and *maybe* Peter Zijlstra's cputimer fix, which
even *possibly* rise to the "all users" level, as everything else is against
XFS or CIFS or ARM or something else that's not an across-the-board issue.

And the changelog for the mremap commit says that "but this lucky report
hints", which sort of implies it's a very hard-to-hit bug that nobody even knew
was there.

So it's not obvious from just the shortlog that it's a "MUST upgrade" category.