Re: staging: line6 driver status

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Date: Thu Oct 27 2011 - 05:43:36 EST

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 09:28:59AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> What is the status of the line6 staging driver?  There is no TODO file
>> so I'm not sure what is blocking it from leaving staging.
>
> That's a good question.  I don't really know the status of the driver at
> the moment, does anyone else?

I have one question about the design of the driver:

Do we really need the sysfs attributes which boil down to MIDI
commands? I think a userspace library provides a better interface
because the MIDI commands/values vary between device models and bloat
the driver. Generic sound recording and MIDI software would talk to
the driver. Utilities to control the device could link against the
userspace library.

By splitting the code into the kernel MIDI/pcm driver and a userspace
control library which uses MIDI we can slim down the kernel driver and
leave the large variation of MIDI commands/values to a library that
the community can improve for specific device models.

This will make the driver smaller and easier for review.

Stefan