Re: linux-next 20111025: warnings inrcu_idle_exit_common()/rcu_idle_enter_common()

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 11:44:46 EST

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 05:19 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 07:41:42PM +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:

> > > Sorry I cannot...possibly due to another ftrace bug.

> > > It's exactly that linux next 20111025 (comparing to 20111014) no
> > > longer produces all the trace events that made me looking into the
> > > dmesg and find the warning from RCU (rather than the expected warning
> > > from ftrace).
> > >
> > > The trace output is now:
> > >
> > > # tracer: nop
> > > #
> > > # WARNING: FUNCTION TRACING IS CORRUPTED
> > > # MAY BE MISSING FUNCTION EVENTS
> > > # TASK-PID CPU# TIMESTAMP FUNCTION
> > > # | | | | |
> > > (nothing more)
> >
> > I checked the other test box and got the same warnings. Below is the
> > full dmesg.
> >
> > No single trace output again..
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if it is too early during boot for tracing to work
> correctly.
>
> Gah! I have rcu/next set ahead to commits that are not supposed to go
> upstream yet. I reset it back to match the stuff that is targeted for
> the current merge window. Still need to find the bug, of course.
>
> Anyone have any idea why the kworker thread might be trying to enter
> the idle loop? The idle_cpu(smp_processor_id()) call believes that
> this is not the idle task. Or does x86 allow non-idle tasks to enter
> the idle loop? Or to be migrated off-CPU?

It's not. Carsten Emde noticed what looked like a bug in ftrace last
week at LinuxCon, and looking deeper at it, I found that the swapper
task for all but CPU0 is named kworker. That's because kworker creates
the idle task for all other CPUs besides CPU 0 and the idle task takes
on kworker name.

Carsten posted a patch last week too:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/26/313

I'm glad that this bug shows up outside of just ftrace :)

-- Steve