Re: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)

From: david
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 22:18:08 EST

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:23 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use enigmail which is a Thunderbird plugin; it works quite well, but,
well, it requires Thunderbird.  I think many GUI MUAs have similar
plugins, but text MTAs might be worse, I don't know.

I have never met a GUI MUA I like before google webmail. And the
advantage of google webmail isn't so much the GUI MUA, as the fact
that it doesn't suck like IMAP, and does the automatic folders and
good handling of archives right.

The reason I switched away from pine was that pine is fine (apart from
the archival thing) if you have all your mail local. But "local mail"
is painful when traveling, or when trying to interact with mail using
a mobile phone etc.

And IMAP mail in turn is totally useless both when traveling *and*
when at home.

what IMAP servers have you used? I find that with a good IMAP server I can get away with _very_ little processing power in the client and get good performance (I still am using pine, but with a cyrus IMAP server)

there are a bunch of IMAP servers out there that are horrible (and even more IMAP clients that are really doing POP and storing everything locally, just using the IMAP protocol)

David Lang