Re: PROBLEM: Kernel oops 805 running Debian on Qnap TS-119PII

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Apr 02 2012 - 05:00:50 EST

Berto writes:
> Not sure if this is where to send this; please forward to the right people.

The ARM kernel developers tend to use linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rather than the ordinary lkml. However, since you're apparently running a
kernel provided by Debian, you should send the bug report to Debian first.

> the installer by Martin Michlmayr (cyrius.com). No exotic packages
> installed, just the ordinary openssh, samba, afp and apache. All seems
> to run fine until, once or twice a day, the systems crashes, rendering
> it unreachable on all ports (even ping). I am often pumping lot's of
> files in it through samba, but I am not sure that is the cause of evil here.

> #cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.32-5-kirkwood (Debian 2.6.32-41squeeze2)
> (dannf@xxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.3.5 (Debian 4.3.5-4) ) #1 Fri Mar 23
> 07:59:47 UTC 2012

FWIW, I've run self-compiled kernels on Qnap TS-119 and TS-119P+ for years
under very heavy CPU and local file system loads, and they've always been
extremely solid. It's possible that your networking/samba load is triggering
something bad.

Also I'd strongly recommend building the kernel with gcc-4.6.3, lots of bugs
have been fixed since the now obsolete and unsupported gcc-4.3.

/Mikael