Re: CONFIG_RTLWIFI_DEBUG default y

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Apr 02 2012 - 13:45:15 EST

On 04/02/2012 12:17 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:53:38AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
To keep all the "printk(KERN_DEBUG" to "pr_debug(" conversion
output the same as the it was prior to the patch.

Larry can default it to off if he wants.

From looking at one user of this -
drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192ce/hw.c - some of the messages look
like important ones which you wanna have enabled always, f.e. error
handling in rtl92ce_hw_init().

It probably needs splitting into debugging messages which are default n
and always-on messages.

The current situation is fine with me. Any user with an embedded system can save a lot of memory by setting CONFIG_RTLWIFI_DEBUG to n. If a normal distro chooses to do that, then when some user of that distro reports a problem and is unable to run with the module parameter "debug=X", I get to say "Sorry, I cannot help you." :)

Of course, if you want to go through the source and convert every instance of "RT_TRACE(rtlpriv, COMP_ERR, DBG_EMERG, ...)" to the equivalent "pr_err(...), then I would probably sign off on it.

Larry