Re: Default Kconfig state for hw_random drivers

From: Mark Brown
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 08:36:26 EST

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:31:36PM +0200, Nicolas Ferre wrote:

> I had the same kind of discussion with Felipe and Arnd in this thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/122248/focus=122304

> The conclusion came out after Arnd's strong arguments:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/122962

> Maybe adding a "default" directive can be an valid option?

There is one, that's the problem - the driver is defaulting to the same
state as the main hw_random option (as is idiomatic for this subsystem).
This means that if you've enabled any hw_random device this driver will
be enabled by default. I would argue that this default directive only
makes sense if there's an explicit dependency limiting the platforms it
can build on. If it can build on any platform then omitting the default
and just defaulting to N as is normal for drivers would be better.