Re: memcg: cat: memory.memsw.* : Operation not supported

From: Kamezawa Hiroyuki
Date: Thu Jun 28 2012 - 00:06:29 EST

(2012/06/28 5:24), Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 01:21:27PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
Well it also has a prerequisite that memcg doesn't have: CONFIG_SWAP, so

Right.

even if CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP is folded into
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR, then these should still depend on CONFIG_SWAP
since configuring them would imply there is some limit to be enforced.

But to answer your question:

text data bss dec hex filename
25777 3644 4128 33549 830d memcontrol.o.swap_disabled
27294 4476 4128 35898 8c3a memcontrol.o.swap_enabled

I still wish it's folded into CONFIG_MEMCG and conditionalized just on
CONFIG_SWAP tho.

In old days, memsw controller was not very stable. So, we devided the config.
And, it makes size of memory for swap-device double (adds 2bytes per swapent.)
That is the problem.

Is it really too painful to not create these files when
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP is disabled? If so, can we at least allow
them to be opened but return -EINVAL if memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes is
written?

Not at all, that was the first version anyway, which (IIRC) KAME
didn't like and suggested always creating those files. KAME, what do
you think?

IIRC...at that time, we made decision, cgroup has no feature to
'create files dynamically'. Then, we made it in static, decision was done
at compile time and ignores "do_swap_account".

Now, IIUC, we have the feature. So, it's may be a time to create the file
with regard to "do_swap_account", making decision at boot time.

Thanks,
-Kame